Monday 19 December 2011

Sticky toffee pudding


Yesterday I had possibly the best sticky toffee pudding ever. Hell, even the best pudding. It was the most warming, gooeist, yummiest dishlicious pud I've had in a long time.

And it was made by none other that my own Mother! She nabbed the recipe from Delia's cookery book from the 80s or 90s (not positive which one) but there is no way any other sticky toffee pudding could beat this recipe.

By chance though, after settling down and watching 'The Roasts of Christmas Past', I noticed the very same recipe bubbling in the oven in true 90s fashion. Sweet.

I should of really taken a photo to complete the transition and show you just how GOOD it was, but these 'vintage' ones will have to do.

The documentary however is a good comical look at the past 60 years of the 'TV cooking' phenomenon. From the pioneering Marguerite Patten's make do and mend recipes, Fanny Cradock's glamourous and questionable delights to Delia herself on the simple how-to's, its a clever indication of the relationship between Britain's two favourite things - food and television.

Finally, back to 2011 now - I recently involved myself in a live webchat with Nigella Lawson with Stylist magazine and she luckily answered my question about student cooking. I asked what was the cheapest meal, she replied:

'Hi Harriet, when I was a student, I was the Queen of Onion Soup. I bought a huge sack of onions from the market and endlessly feeding huge crowds of people without spending much money...'

I believe I can say we are now officially best friends...

X

No comments:

Post a Comment